Are you looking for the perfect printer to print unique designs, vibrant fabrics, and other engaging items for your students? Sublimation printing is a fantastic choice! Indeed, conventional printers can’t compete with any sublimation printers’ vivid colors and fine detail.
Hence, before beginning any sublimation project, you should know what kind of printer is best suited for sublimation projects. Armed with the correct information, you can easily decide which one fits your needs. With so many options out there, it’s hard to know what is the best sublimation printer. But you can quickly figure it out once you know more about sublimation printing.
What is Sublimation Printing?
One of the latest craft trends nowadays is sublimation printing. But what is a sublimation printer? It’s a piece of equipment that’s even better than traditional printing methods, which you can use at school! Even students can use it for a hands-on experience. At the same time, it brings out their inner creativity. By transferring beautiful and high-quality designs to practically any item, sublimation printing has become the top choice for learning.
Understanding the process is simple. For instance, your student’s artwork can be transferred to their desired medium in a gaseous state with a high-temperature heat press. What makes it different from other printing methods is that it doesn’t have a liquid step, so there is no ink drying to wait for.
What Kind of Printer is Ideal for Sublimation Printing?
If you want to start incorporating sublimation printing in your class projects, knowing what kind of printer you need for sublimation is crucial. You may need clarification, especially since it’s a new printing technique. But don’t worry because it’s pretty simple, and you’ll be able to find the best printer for your needs quickly.
The things you should be aware of about sublimation printing:
- You need a specialized sublimation printer or a converted inkjet printer for sublimation.
- Special ink is used with a special paper designed for sublimation.
- Inkjet printers are the ideal choice due to their heat-free piezoelectric printheads.
- Choosing a printer with a piezo printhead nozzle can pressurize sublimation ink and can be transferred on sublimation paper.
- Thermal printers aren’t ideal for sublimation printing since the thermal technology doesn’t work with the ink used in sublimation.
Understanding the factors mentioned above will help you find the best sublimation printer. Now, you can efficiently work on different projects with your students at school. The best part is that it applies to any activity, especially arts & crafts subjects!
Type of Products You Can Print On with Sublimation Printing
- Non-fabric items
- Custom tote bags
- Home Decor
- School Apparel
There are many other objects you can print on with sublimation printing. And it’s one of the best and quickest methods to get high-resolution results with clear and bright colors.
Benefits of Sublimation Printing
Personalization is the main aspect of sublimation printing, so it’s an ideal tool for your class projects. It allows your students to show their creative side. Of course, it has to be under your guidance for a safe printing experience. But apart from being a good tool for learning, it has many other advantages.
What makes sublimation printing a good idea? Here are some of the reasons why:
- Allows printing on rigid surfaces: You can easily print on non-fabric materials, such as glasses, ceramics, plates, etc.
- Ideal for those who want to run a business: If you’re starting a fundraiser at school or have a school shop, you and your students can create school merchandise.
- Hundreds of items to print on: You can print on different items you want.
- Short learning curve due to its simple process: Sublimation printing is relatively easy to understand since it has a fast learning process.
- Produce outcomes on the same day: Since the process is fast, you can produce products on the same day.
- No need to set a minimum print run: You can run between one to a thousand units, with the units remaining the same.
- Create more precise and accurate results: If you want to transfer a colorful image, sublimation printing has a wide range of colors that allows you to create beautiful images that are the same.
- Doesn’t scratch and lose its color: After the image is integrated into the medium, the result is unnoticeable, unlike transfer paper.
Factors to Remember Before You Use a Sublimation Printer
Before starting your printing project using a sublimation printer, there are some things to consider. These will guide you as you start your journey with your students. So take note of the following factors:
- For fabric, it must be made of 100% polyester or at least 2/3.
- You can use items with a special polyester coating for textile objects.
- The items must have a white or light-colored area.
- Colors may fade if they are consistently exposed to the sun due to the UV rays.
- Printheads may clog if used only some of the time. Hence, it’s best to keep it on at all times.
- The lower press rate’s dimensions and the image’s original resolution limit the printing size.
Tools You Need for a Successful Sublimation Activity
Before starting your activity, you must ensure you have all the tools required to prevent delays or mistakes.
The first thing you must secure is a sublimation ink printer. You can find these in different sizes since they’re used primarily for factory use. But with this printing method becoming more popular, you can find a printer that’s just right for your needs.
A sublimation paper is a special paper to which you will transfer the image. Plus, you can create any spectrum of color with this paper.
Whether you need a knife, scissors, or a rotary blade, ensure your cutting machine is handy. For instance, giant scissors are required when cutting fabric.
A heat press is necessary since it will remove the design from the sublimation paper and transfer it to the substrate or item. It’s a main component you should ensure you have before starting your project. Also, take note that there are different types of heat press to choose from, and it depends on the material you’re going to transfer the image on.
- Flatbed heat press
- Calendar heat press
- 3D vacuum heat press
- Small heat press
Make Your School Activities More Enticing with Sublimation Printing
With educators looking for a way to grab their students’ attention, they use different types of equipment, such as a sublimation printer. It’s a more attractive way of getting them involved with their lessons without forcing them to do so.
At AGC Education, we ensure you’re ready to take on the day with every new subject you’re about to tackle. That’s why you must be fully equipped with our sublimation station. For more details about our sublimation printer and other equipment and supplies, contact us today to help you find the right solution.