Posters are a wonderful place to start when it comes to adorning your classroom. They don’t only give character to any learning space but may also be helpful instructional aids. Adding them to your classroom can be a brilliant idea to engage the students and add visual interest.
Your students can receive the message you want to send them with the Educator Plus Poster Printer from AGC Education. But before you go out and print out a poster, it’s crucial to think about poster ideas for school, what kind of message you want to send, and what type of poster will work best in your classroom.
What is a poster?
According to Macmillan Dictionary, posters are large printed announcements or pictures displayed on walls as decoration, advertising, or distribution of information. Posters date back to the 1800s when they were thought to be an adaptation of earlier meanings of ‘swift travel’ and ‘dispatch.’
Poster origins are likely derived from the concept of conveying news, though earlier definitions refer to news physically brought by messengers, not the static nature of posters.
Basically, a poster is a temporary advertisement placed in a public space to promote an idea, product, or event. Nowadays, posters serve a variety of purposes. You can use it to hang a reproduction of a critical painting in your home, advertise a concert on the side of a building, make fun classroom posters, or get health-related information from the Department of Health. The most common way to use it is during an election, when it is used to urge people to vote or not vote for a particular candidate.
Purpose of a poster
A poster’s primary goal is to convey a message to an audience that is moving. You should carefully plan how your poster will be designed when you are creating it. There is a limited amount of time for you to grab and hold your reader’s attention. Focus on the one aspect of the information that conveys the message, and plan your design accordingly.
How to make a quality poster?
After selecting the vital facts, consider what imagery visually represents your message. Here’s what makes up a quality elementary classroom poster:
- You should ensure your type is large enough to be viewed up to 10-15 times the width of your format.
- All vital information should be included, such as date, time, location, and contact information.
- Ensure your reader’s attention is quickly caught by a dominant element such as a headline or image.
- Your reader should be able to find the information easily and quickly with a simple layout.
- Use color, size, or value to emphasize the most crucial message.
- Make sure the art reflects the message.
- The arrangement of type and imagery should follow a logical, functional order.
- Colors should be bold and intense so your message can easily be seen from a distance.
Benefits of having a poster for your classroom
- Grabs attention: Students can maintain their interest and draw attention to topics using this method.
- Motivation: Students are motivated to learn specific topics by displaying positive classroom posters.
- Focus: Using posters to present a specific idea, event, fact, or process to learners helps them focus their attention.
- Opportunity to learn: The presence of posters in a classroom provides students with endless learning opportunities, even when looking at them.
- Learn faster: Both students and teachers can benefit greatly from posters because they are a convenient way for students to understand the topics more quickly.
- Communicate complex messages: Posters are an effective way to communicate a complex message or topic visually, not just in the classroom
Amazing poster ideas for your classroom
Here are some of the fantastic school poster ideas that you can hang in your classroom:
Informational posters are a great way to provide students with information about various topics. These kinds of posters can be used to teach students about a particular subject, such as science or history. Additionally, informational posters can provide students with information about a specific event, such as a field trip or an assembly.
Motivational posters are a great way to encourage students to stay positive and motivated. These kinds of posters can feature inspirational quotes or images that will help students to stay focused and on track. Additionally, motivational posters can remind students of their goals and why they are working hard in school.
Get to Know You Posters
A great way to start the school year is to have each student make a poster about themselves. Include information such as their name, favorite things, what they want to be when they grow up, and anything else they wish to share about themselves and for students to get to know each other.
All About Me Posters
Similar to the “get to know you” posters, these can be made at any time during the year and are an excellent way for students to share information about themselves with their classmates. Students can include information such as their hobbies, interests, family, pets, favorite things, etc.
Class Rules Posters
At the beginning of the year or whenever new rules are implemented, you or your students can make posters about the class rules. It will help them remember the rules and serve as a visual reminder when needed.
Goal Setting Posters
Throughout the year, have students set goals for themselves and create posters to display their goals. These could be academic goals, behavior goals, personal goals, etc. This is great for students to stay on track and motivated throughout the year.
Student Work Posters
Educators can also create student work posters. These types of posters showcase student work and achievements. Student work posters can be a great way to celebrate student success and motivate other students to strive for excellence.
Classroom Schedule Posters
These posters help students know what is happening in the classroom and when. Classroom schedule posters can be simple or complex, depending on the needs of the students.
Book Recommendation Posters
Encourage students to read books and create posters recommending their favorite books to their classmates, which is a great way to promote reading and get students talking about books they’ve read and enjoyed.
At any time during the year (but especially around Thanksgiving), have students make posters about what they are thankful for, always encouraging positive thinking and gratitude.
We make it easy for you to create beautiful, engaging learning materials
If you’re an educator or school staff member with K-12 students, consider investing in a poster printer. Not only will you be able to create dynamic and visually appealing displays for your classroom or hallway, but you can also print out student work for parents and other stakeholders.
At AGC Education, we offer a wide range of affordable poster printers that are perfect for any educational setting. Contact us today to learn more about our products and how we can help you improve communication and learning in your school.